Portal de Mula

Mula - SpanishMula - English
detail of Mula


The Convent of San Francisco de Mula opens its doors after its intense restoration (21/02/2018)

The Minister of Tourism, Culture and the Environment, Javier Celdrán, attended today the inauguration of the San Francisco de Mula Convent, an event in which the General Director of Architecture, Housing and Land of the Ministry of Development, Antonio Aguilar, also participated;

the Government delegate in the Region of Murcia, Francisco Bernabé;

and the mayor of Mula, Juan Jesús Moreno.

The historic Muleña building, whose foundation dates back to the sixteenth century, opens its doors after completing the intense restoration work in the south and east wings of the building, the last areas that were still to be recovered, in which the expansion of the City Museum will be located de Mula, integrated into the Regional Network of Museums, as well as other municipal cultural facilities.

The total budget of the restoration works is 2.5 million euros, of which about 70 percent is paid through the program of '1.5% Cultural' of the Ministry of Development and the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sports.

Celdrán said that "the citizens of the Region are in luck for the recovery of this emblematic building, with different uses that will turn it into a center that generates culture and a meeting point for the Muleña society", and highlighted "the magnificent work done in the Convent of San Francisco, which adds to the long list of important buildings and buildings recovered, making the Region of Murcia an example in the conservation of heritage and its value for the tourist and economic development of municipalities.

Also, the counselor insisted on "the need and the success of working in a coordinated way between different administrations and other entities and institutions, also actively involving the citizens themselves, to recover our heritage and, in general, for the promotion and strengthening of culture as the main hallmark of the Region ".

The foundation of this conventual group of Mula (church, cloister and convent) dates back to the sixteenth century at the behest of the Council and the Marquis de los Vélez.

In the year 1835, the convent of San Francisco was disentailed and fifteen years later it passed into private hands.

After the death of the owner, his heirs gave it to the Bishopric for the recovery of religious services.

After carrying out refurbishment works, in November 1894 the temple was reopened.

After the visit, Celdrán also highlighted "the commitment of the government of López Miras in the recovery and conservation of Murcia's cultural and historical heritage, which continues the work carried out during the last decades", and indicated that "in the case of the Convent and the Church of San Francisco de Mula, there are numerous actions of reform and conservation that have been made from the Ministry of Culture.

Source: CARM

UNE-EN ISO 9001:2000 - ER-0131/2006 © 2018 Alamo Networks S.L. - C/Alamo 8, 30850 Totana (Murcia) Privacy policy - Legal notice Región de Murcia
Este sitio web utiliza cookies para facilitar y mejorar la navegación. Si continúas navegando, consideramos que aceptas su uso. Más información